Director of Events
Role: Director of Events
Company: #movethedial, https://movethedial.com/
Reports to: VP of Operations
Location: Mid-town Toronto
Type: Full Time / Permanent
#movethedial is a global movement with a mission to advance the participation and leadership of all women in the tech industry. We seek to #movethedial through building awareness, inspiring action, galvanizing & amplifying collective community and corporate efforts, and through delivering high impact programs.
At the core of #movethedial’s programming are two event platforms: the #movethedial Summit, and the #movethedial Stories series:
● #movethedial Summit is an annual event bringing together 21,000+ business leaders, growing professionals and underrepresented youth. Our hallmark event, the Summit, showcases best in class speakers who are blazing the trail towards diversity & inclusion, and will focus on best practices, developing ideas & providing inspiration through high impact speakers & networking opportunities. Our philosophy is to “amaze” and “delight” our attendees by creating a unique, differentiated and absolutely delightful experience in every way.
● #movethedial Stories is a key program that includes featuring speakers in a digital media hub, through social media, podcasts and through a monthly event series taking place at partner venues in cities across North America (and ultimately globally). A primary tenet of #movethedial is that women will become what they can see. Stories is about sharing authentic stories, challenges and triumphs of women in tech through global events in the community, and an expansive digital media content hub.
We are seeking an innovative Events Leader who can transform the vision of these events into best-in-class productions and experiences. Reporting to the VP of Operations, the Events Director will lead the strategy and execution of the annual Summit (70%), as well as oversee the Manager of Global Events in the execution of the Stories event platform (30%).
Project Management and Events Planning
● Lead the strategy and planning for the Global Summit by creating event critical path plan and managing project timelines
● Lead project scope and strategy including required staffing, program plans, run of show, budget, developing registration process and marketing activities required to promote the event
● Scope event requirements and liaise with venue operations to ensure successful execution of all aspects of the event planning process and on-site logistics
● Work closely with third party contractors to collaborate on production design, creative content development, and development of event registration/sales platform
● Support vendor, supplier and third-party relationships
● Manage event budgets and administrative tracking
● Lead strategy for ongoing management of Stories series, overseeing the creation of a “playbook” for seamless execution of monthly events across global cities and partner venues
Creative Program Design
● Work closely with Founder and Leadership Team to develop creative program concepts to ensure overall event content is best-in-class
Sponsorship Programming and Activities
● Work with Partnerships team and Director of Marketing to design creative opportunities for sponsorship celebration and activation
● Act as lead contact onsite, in cooperation with Director of Partnerships to ensure seamless experience of sponsors including booth set up and execution of various activations
● Working with Founder and Creative Director, identify, recruit and manage speakers for Summit and Stories events
● Ensure positive and seamless on-site experience by managing speaker packages and process leading up to and during each event
Logistics and Onsite Execution
● Responsible for seamless execution and production of the events, including production, registration, and attendee and speaker experience at all levels
● Point person on-site for all contractors, volunteers, staff and venue representatives to ensure seamless and quality execution and experience
Team Recruitment and Management
● Work with Founder and VP of Operations to develop hiring plans for the expansion of the Events team
We are looking for people who have/bring:
● Extensive experience managing and executing large scale events/multi day conferences from start to finish (1,500 plus participants) - a minimum of 7-10 years of professional events experience
● Project management expertise and ability to create effective work-back plans, critical paths and scheduling
● Strong track record of building relationships across all departments and with outside vendors
● Must be able to thrive in a deadline-driven, fast paced, team environment, working both independently and collaboratively on multiple projects
● Excellent organizational skills
● Strong communication skills
● Proven ability to manage changing priorities and perform well under pressure
● Maturity and a high level of personal integrity and professionalism
● Comfortable with travel and irregular hours which can be typical in a special events role
● Experience creating and executing events nationally and/or internationally
● Experience thinking creatively and outside of the box when creating event programming, content and speaker roster
● Detail oriented, obsessed with the details
● Start-up Mindset: You can work with us on small details as well as large strategic issues, and thrive in an all-hands-on-deck environment
● Bias to Action: You have no issue taking charge and driving projects forward, even in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty
- Authenticity - we are committed to showing up whole-heartedly with the highest respect for ourselves and others. We trust and support one another and communicate openly.
- Abundance - we believe that we can all win and that we can accomplish more together. We are open, collaborative, and we celebrate and amplify the success of others.
- Action - we are optimistic about the future and have confidence in our ability to make a BIG impact by acting instead of talking. We are scrappy and favor progress over perfection.
- Inclusiveness - we firmly believe that we are better together and that Diversity and Inclusiveness are critical to the success of all teams.
- Passion - we are committed to developing experiences and partnerships that amaze and delight our community.
- Grit - we persist because we are passionate, even in the face of obstacles.
#movethedial is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.